Friday, June 12, 2015

(Boot) Camp Weekend

Brandon and Amy left this evening to go camping for two nights. Amy was super excited, and I know they are gonna have a lot of fun. They are staying at KOA campground, which is just barely camping since they have things like restrooms, showers, electricity and even a general store. But they are gonna sleep in a tent, so it still counts, right? This particular KOA also has other fun things like a lake to fish in, a swimming pool, paddle boats for the lake, mini golf, a bouncy castle, and fun activities the camp puts on during the weekends. I must say, I'm a little jealous of those two.

While they are camping, Cole and I will be staying home and attempting some potty training boot camp. I know he's still fairly young to start (not quite two), but he has shown interest in the potty, and has peed in there three times so far. So we're gonna try it, and even if it fails and he's not quite ready, we're no worse off than we were yesterday. But if he can get it, and wants to start using the potty, I will be thrilled to no longer buy and change diapers.
It also took us a long time to fully train Amy, and just in case it takes that long with Cole as well, we need to start soon. He'll be old enough for preschool next August (2016), and he's gotta be trained to start. So I have a deadline.

I've taken ideas from other 3 day potty training sessions and sort of adapted them for us. I'm not using any particular approach, just what I feel is right for us.
Starting tomorrow morning, Cole will be drinking as much liquids as I can get him to, as well as eat foods like watermelon and popsicles, to make sure that bladder needs emptying often. Then we will hang out and play in the bathroom (or on other non-carpeted floors) without a diaper and just get him to sit on the potty often. If he goes, he gets a few M&M's and lots of praise and I might even make up a song. If he goes on the floor, he doesn't get in trouble or anything, I will just try to correct him and tell him where to go.
Needless to say, it's gonna be a long and interesting weekend. I am hoping for the best and will update with my results either tomorrow night or Sunday night. Wish us luck!


Edit: Brandon just sent me these pictures. I guess when they got there, Amy couldn't wait to get on the paddle boats.

And here is their tent set up on the lake. I'm quite jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment